Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Duck Photo Challenge Winners

Back in August I challenged my faithful readers to show me your best photo of a duck. Today, I’m thrilled to be able to finally announce the results of this exciting challenge.

First: the Runner-up

The lucky runner-up is Melinda from Austin, Texas. And, although Melinda clearly didn’t quite fully grasp the basic concept of the challenge, i.e., we were talking about ducks, not swans or dogs, I say: “close enough”.

As I understand it, Melinda’s dog, Prince, was happily chasing a tennis ball on Lady Bird Lake in Austin and minding his own business when a swan got a tad too close.

Warning: Some viewers may find the following images disturbing.

Prince then decided that swans are more fun than tennis balls and so, the chase began.


Eventually, Prince closed the gap and the swan made its escape.

And Now: the Winner!

The winner of the prestigious “I’ll Show You My Duck if You Show Me Yours” challenge is Carolyn from Campbellville.

Here’s her winning photo of two ducks fighting (I prefer to think of them as playing):

  • Camera: Nikon D7000 – (See Lessons Learned with my D7000)
  • Lens: 70-200 f/2.8 – lucky you!
  • Exposure: 1/800 sec at f /3.2
  • Exposure Program: Manual
Not only is this image sharp, colourful and compelling, albeit somewhat disturbing, but more important, it meets the primary requirement of involving a duck. Sorry Melinda :(.

Thanks for Playing!

No comments:

Post a Comment