Monday, August 27, 2012

I’ll Show You My Duck if You Show Me Yours

When the seasons change, or when I just can’t decide what it is that I want to photograph on a given outing, I usually head to the Toronto waterfront or Grenadier pond.

In these cases, chances are that my subjects will include ducks, Canada geese and other waterfowl. Chances are also pretty good that when I get home and start viewing my images, my wife Lesa will peer over from her PC and say “What, more pictures of ducks?”

She just doesn’t get it. My reply is that ducks, simply by virtue of their “duckness”, make good subjects – they are fairly cooperative and do a variety of somewhat cool things like float about, take off, stick their heads in the water, forage, etc.

Okay, so here’s my favourite duck photo. What I like most about it is how the duck's shadow acts like a diver's mask to bring what is under water into focus.

If you’ve ever been too shy to show your duck in public, here’s your opportunity to do so.

Here’s how:

  • Comment on this blog post and either include a link to a photo of your duck, or email me a copy at peter@petermarble.com and I’ll post it here for all to see.

Once I’ve seen enough ducks, I will ask all my faithful readers to vote on which duck they like best. Failing that, our panel of experts (Lesa and me) will choose the winner – which will most likely be me.

Thanks for playing!

No comments:

Post a Comment